Our Kids Teach Celebrities About Sustainability

DJ and music producer Havana Brown goes vegan and promotes green program Kids Teaching Kids

Back living in Melbourne after years in the US, global DJ and music star Havana Brown is the latest celebrity to go vegan in an effort to “help the environment”.

DJ Havana Brown with Mount Waverley Primary School students Nicola Gouws and Matthew Linden. Picture: David Caird

DJ Havana Brown is the latest celebrity to go vegan.

Brown, who is back living in Melbourne after several years working in the US, is “transitioning” to veganism.

“I’m pretty much vegan but once a week at the moment I’m having fish and that’s it,” she said.

“So I just allow myself a little bit of freedom until I’m able to completely eliminate any animal products from my diet.”

“What I’m trying to do is help the environment.”

Brown, 34, has bolstered her environmental credentials by being appointed ambassador for green education program Kids Teaching Kids.

Melbourne Deputy Lord Mayor Arron Wood and Havana Brown with members of environmental outfit Kids Teaching Kids. Picture: David Caird

The non-profit was founded by Melbourne Deputy Lord Mayor Arron Wood, whose wife Steph is a good mate of Brown’s.

“Kids Teaching Kids is a great way to have kids understand what they’re doing and sustain the environment, I’m really proud to be part of it,” said the music performer and producer.

The organisation is celebrating its 20th anniversary, and Brown will sing Happy Birthday at a special event to be held at Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre on Thursday.

Mr Wood said Kids Teaching Kids was working with new program partner MySolarDirect on a target to install 1000 solar systems in homes sourced from the organisation’s schools network.

“As part of the partnership, schools will receive $500 for every solar system installed, and they can use this money to pay for science equipment, create a veggie garden help with recycling or fund their environmental programs,” he said.

State Energy Minister Lily D’Ambrosio backed the initiative.

“It could not be more timely as we recently increased Victoria’s renewable energy target to 50 per cent by 2030 — putting more clean energy into the grid,” she said.

Havana Brown is excited to have moved back to Melbourne after spending several years living in Los Angeles. Picture: David Caird

Meanwhile, Havana Brown, who grew up in Wantirna South, revealed she has bought a pad in Brighton.

“Ive been living in Los Angeles for the last seven years, but we’ve bought a place here and I’m loving it back in Australia,” she said.

“It’s one of my favourite spots in Melbourne — it’s always been my dream neighbourhood so I’m pretty happy.”

But Brown was coy about talk that she had secretly married her manager Vince Deltito.

“It’s not something I really want to talk about,” she said politely.

The DJ is returning to the US soon for a tour, and her next Australian gig will be in Sydney.

john.masanauskas@news.com.au